It was announced today by our Prime Minister Kevin Rudd that he is putting out another "stimulus" package to help soften the blow of the global economic crisis (which I'm not sure is as big as the media like to portray).
- * Tax bonus of $950 for those earning up to $80,000, and smaller amounts for those earning up to $100,000.
* $14.7bn for school infrastructure and maintenance and trade training centres;
* $6.6bn to boost public housing by about 20,000 new homes;
* $3.9bn for free insulation to 2.7 million homes and solar hot water rebates;
* $890m for regional roads and blackspots, railway boom gates;
* $2.7bn small and general business tax break to provide deductions for some equipment purchases before the end of June 2009;
* $12.7 bn for one-off payments to working Australians, families with school-age children, farmers, single income families and for those undergoing training. (Source)
homes? I doubt it very much.
So if you're eligible for the $950 payment, how do you intend to use yours? Are you going to spend it? What are you going to buy? Or will you save it or pay bills? If you're not in Australia, what would you do if the government handed you $950?